My evil compatriot is on the subject of comic-book movies. I’ll just comment further on the Top Ten that he comments on:
1. Batman. No. I did not like the first one. I did like the second one, and I think the third one (with Val Kilmer as Batman) is the best in the series. Now, the one with George Clooney….
2. X-Men/X2. Outstanding, if we’re talking about the second one. Good, but could have been much better, if they’re mentioning the first one.
3. Spider-Man. An outstanding first half, a lackluster second half, and a last-five-minutes that nearly sinks the entire film.
4. Superman II. I believe this, after Batman, to be the most overrated superhero movie of all time. The fights at the end drag on and on, Superman is given powers we’ve never heard of before, Gene Hackman serves not much by way of useful purpose, the Clark Kent/Lois Lane love story is handled in a cheating manner (“I’ll just make it so she doesn’t know it ever happened!”), et cetera.
5. Superman. My favorite superhero movie of all time, even if the climax drags and involves pure deus ex machina.
I haven’t seen any of the following, and I’m not sure if I even want to:
6. The Hulk.
7. The Crow
8. From Hell. (Actually, I do kinda want to see this one.)
10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. This is one of my least-favorite pop-cultural phenomena of all time. Ugh, ugh, ugh.