As always, via Sunday Stealing:
1. Was your dad named after anyone?
His own father. To differentiate, his parents called him at home by his middle name (Thomas, or Tom). So my grandmother would occasionally brag, as mothers do, about her son, Tom. Which meant that when my father (first name Harry) misbehaved in school, the teachers would say, “Why can’t you be like your brother Tom?”
2. What do you think is the minimal age to get married?
I think that we need to decide what the minimum age is for all the same stuff: voting, drinking, driving, marriage, military service, et cetera. I tend to favor 18, but that’s just me.
3. What’s the longest time that you‘ve been involved with the same person?
The Wife. Nineteen-and-a-half years and counting.
4. What actor/actress do you consider hot at the moment?
Stana Katic (Detective Kate Beckett on Castle). Also Robin Tunney (Agent Teresa Lisbon on The Mentalist).
5. What is your favorite album by a band?
Can’t name just one, so here’s a random one I like: Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits.
6. What is your favorite album by an individual artist?
Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely.
7. What is something that you‘d rather be a bit dirty?
Little House on the Prairie. Did it ever traumatize Mary and Laura and Carrie when they realized what those sounds were? The ones that came from Pa and Ma’s bed, which was right down that six-foot stepladder from their own?
8. What was the last TV show that you watched?
The Simpsons is on as I write this, although I’m not paying a lot of attention.
9. How many people have you met from the blogosphere? Who are they?
A dozen or so, maybe a few more. All of them are Buffalo locals. (There are others I knew in person before Blogistan.)
10. What’s your philosophy on life?
“Keep smiling, because you never know what life will throw in your face next!”
That, and: “Boldly go.”
Oh, and: “Never go in with a Sicilian when Death is on the line!”
11. Do you think prescription drugs are over prescribed?
Maybe? I don’t really have an educated view to offer on this, actually. I know people who are one lots of meds, but I have no confident basis as to whether I think they’re on too many meds.
12. Would you keep a secret from me if you thought it was in my best interest?
Sure, unless I don’t like you much, in which case I’d reveal the secret and watch the carnage!
13. What is your favorite memory in the last year?
Good times with The Wife and The Daughter.
14. What is your favorite guilty pleasure?
Watching movies with a big bowl of popcorn (from the popper, mind you).
15. Tell me one odd/interesting fact about you:
I can’t roll my R‘s. Never been able to. (Which meant that I couldn’t flutter-tongue on my trumpet, either. That inability occasionally proved inconvenient.)
16. You can have three wishes (for yourself, so forget all the ‘world peace etc’ malarky) – what are they?
Enough money to comfortably live for life, a house with an enormous room for books and a big shed for a workshop, and for a nice large car that still gets at least 40 mph, if not more.
17. Who would you want to get together with and make a cake?
Is “make a cake” some kind of dirty euphemism? I like cooking things with The Wife.
18. Which country is your spiritual home?
19. What is your big weakness?
My sweet tooth.
20. Do you think Judd Corizan is a good person?
21. What was your best/favorite subject at school?
Music, history, and English.
22. Describe your accent:
It lulls you into a false sense of security.
23. If you could change anything about yourself, would you?
I’d take off some weight.
24. What do you wear to sleep?
25. What is your favorite casual outfit to wear?
Bib overalls, of course.
26. Do you use cigarettes or alcohol?
Cigarettes, no. Alcohol, yes. (I’ve never even tried a cigarette; the only smoking I’ve ever done was two cigars that were given to me years ago by co-workers who had babies.)
27. If I only had one day to live, what would we do together? (If you have no idea, just say something crazy, it’ll entertain me!)
Well, we’d get a tub of Cool-Whip, and then we’d….
28. Rate the memes that you play generally. Use any scale or just in order.
I only check ’em out and see if I want to do them, so no ranking here. I do find Sunday Stealing the most consistent, though; others tend to have quizzes that make me think, “Yeesh, who came up with that….”
I can't roll my r's either. Fortunately my instruments have mostly been keyboards where it didn't matter.
If you can't roll your Rs, then you REALLY can't sing Summertime as performed by the late Billy Stewart either.